A former employee of one of presidential candidate Mitt Romney‘s bankrupt companies says Romney’s decisions cost him and many others their jobs. Randy Johnson who used to work for Bain Capital is in Des Moines, Iowa to make sure anyone who will listen knows how badly Romney mismanaged the Indiana paper plant where Johnson used to be employed. According to the Des Moines Register, Romney was the chief executive officer of Bain Capital in 1992 when the company purchased American Pad Paper, or Ampad, and oversaw the management of that company and others.
Ampad went bankrupt in 2000, and investors netted over $100 million from the deal, according to the Boston Globe. Johnson and others from the Indiana paper plant where he worked traveled to Massachusetts during Romney’s Senate race against Democratic incumbent Ted Kennedy to express their concerns over not getting a fair shake from the new management.
A few months later the plant was shut down. Johnson received a personal letter from Romney on the day the plant closed expressing his condolences about the turn of events. About 200 workers lost their jobs, and it didn?t have to be that way, said Johnson, who was told the plant was still making a profit when it was sold to Bain Capital initially.
- Worker Laid Off Under Bain Capital: Romney ‘Didn’t Care About The Workers,’ Put ‘Profit Over People’ (thinkprogress.org)
- Mitt Romney layoff victim speaks: ‘It was all about profit before people’ (dailykos.com)
- Democrats target Mitt Romney’s role concerning job cuts while at Bain (boston.com)
- “Bain Capitalist”: Mitt Romney Haunted By His Victims (mykeystrokes.com)
- Democratic Party Takes On Romney (myfoxphoenix.com)
- Democratic Party Takes On Romney (myfoxny.com)
- ♥Prosey♥: Mitt Romney layoff victim speaks: ‘It was all about profit before people’ – http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/01/02/1050807/-Mitt-Romney-layoff-victim-speaks:-It-was-all-about-profit-before-people?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campa (friendfeed.com)
- Mitt Romney Targeted By Democrats Ahead Of Iowa Caucus 2012 (huffingtonpost.com)
- Fired Factory Worker Calls Mitt Romney a Job Killer (abcnews.go.com)
- Dems target Romney in Iowa (boston.com)