According to Article 2 – Section 4 of the United States Constitution, “The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” Did you understand that? A President can be impeached if he is convicted of treason – bribery – or other high crimes and misdemeanors. Any other attempt to remove the President from office absent of these crimes would not be an impeachment…instead it would be a coup d’etat. Enter multi-millionaire Republican lobbyist Grover Norquist stage right – the guy famous for corraling nearly every single Republican in Congress together to sign his pledge against raising taxes.
At the end of last week in an interview with the right-wing National Journal – Grover Norquist called for the impeachment of President Obama. Not for treason – or bribery – or high crimes and misdemeanors – not for any real impeachable offense – but only because the President might raise taxes on millionaires and billionaires back to where they were during the Clinton administration – to 39%. As Norquist said, “Obama can sit there and let all the tax [cuts] lapse, and then the Republicans will have enough votes in the Senate in 2014 to impeach.” Again – Grover Norquist is calling for the impeachment of the President of the United States jsut for making millionaires and billionaires pay their fair share in taxes – making millionaires and billionaires pay just 39% in taxes instead of 35% in taxes.
- Norquist: Republicans Will Impeach Obama If He Doesn’t Extend Bush Tax Cuts (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Norquist: Republicans Will Impeach Obama If He Doesn’t Extend Bush Tax Cuts (thinkprogress.org)
- Impeachment redux, just for the hell of it (dailykos.com)
- Grover Norquist’s Application for Godhood Denied (isoutrage.wordpress.com)
- Newt Gingrich vs. the Rule of Law (reason.com)
- Grover Norquist: Soon It’s Time to Impeach Obama – Anti-tax advocate reveals plan for Republican majority (tribuneofthepeople.com)
- How Out There Is Grover Norquist? (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Norquist: Impeach Obama over taxes? (hotair.com)
- The Grover Norquist “Impeach Obama” Fantasy (esquire.com)